Cross-Curricular Skills at Heolddu
At Heolddu, we recognise that skills and knowledge are inseparably intertwined and mutually interdependent. By developing the knowledge and skills of our pupils, we will ensure that they are well-equipped to succeed personally, academically and beyond.
At Heolddu, we will:
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses in students’ work from across the school.
- Deliver a research-rich, pedagogical approach to the delivery of skills.
- Adopt the Welsh Government Guidance as a way of planning for and assessing literacy, numeracy and digital competency.
- Disseminate information gathered via county initiatives through staff briefings, staff meetings, whole school INSET, instructional coaching and professional development sessions.
- Continue to adopt cross-curricular priorities for each key stage and/ or year group and support pupils in combating identified deficiencies.
- Seek to identify progression in the main forms of literacy, numeracy and digital competency undertaken in each curriculum area and strengthen the teaching plans accordingly.
- Develop pupils’ literacy, numeracy and digital competence through The Heolddu Skills Charter in years 7, 8 and 9.
The Golden Thread
Curriculum For Wales
Literacy, numeracy and digital competence are mandatory cross-curricular skills within the Curriculum for Wales. It will be the responsibility of all practitioners, across all curriculum areas, to develop and ensure progression in these skills. How literacy, numeracy and digital competence skills are developed in and across the curriculum will be decided at a local level and will fit with individual schools’ approaches.
To support schools and practitioners in providing opportunities to develop, extend and apply these skills, the Literacy and Numeracy Framework (LNF) and the Digital Competence Framework (DCF) have been updated and continue to be available as non-statutory supporting guidance.
Literacy and Numeracy Framework
Click here to view the Literacy and Numeracy Framework on HWB.
Digital Competence Framework
Click here to view the Digital Competence Framework on HWB.